Hello, people of this forum. My name is Virgin Smasher and I am here to influence change here.

First of all, I have put this company under intense scrutiny in the past. However, I do wish to see this company succeed in both TL quality and sales.

That being said, the current lineup of releases has...a lack of variety. Lord knows we already have enough moege in the West and only appealing to one demographic won't get this company a reputation if you don't expand your horizons.

Hence, I am here to suggest a variety of genres and VNs that this company could use to become the next Mangagamer of sorts. The release schedule definitely needs more plotge, and I will try to provide with some good suggestions. My favourite genres are basically anything with a mystery or any sort of intrigue to a VN.

That is all from me today. Good luck with your Furureba release, even if I don't particularly care for whatever it has to offer, and with your company in general. It'd always be nice to see another company succeed in this niche market and I will definitely support this company as long as they don't stick to licensing one genre of VN.

Edited by Virgin Smasher
  • Like 3

Just now, Black Heart said:

Hi, and welcome :) I know what you mean. Its good to be able to play different VN genres.

Honestly, I'm fine with companies localizing moege as it funds them a lot. I hope NekoNyan adopts the Mangagamer formula of using moege to fund licenses for plotge so I can see their catalogue becoming a lot more interesting instead of it just being one genre.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Black Heart said:

Plotge? That's a new word, at least for me :D 

Plotge is essentially plot games. It's a self-coined term for me to define what I find has something more than just SoL stuff going on and has an overarching plot or plots in each heroine's routes.

• Like 1

Just to add on, there are plenty of subcategories for plotge as well. Nakige are the emotional types that leave impressions by making you feel for the characters. Utsuge are much more depressing for the whole read (such as Narcissu), and mysteries...would be nazoge, I guess? 

Anyway, I agree that variety would be appreciated. I've only read a few moege, and I've found that ones that make use of supernatural elements are the most interesting to me personally. What matters with picking up a title is whether or not people will read them. I'm hoping for several of the Requested titles being picked up in the near future. Especially mine, of course. :P

Finally, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can engage in some fun discussions in the future.

Just now, Tsukishiro said:

Just to add on, there are plenty of subcategories for plotge as well. Nakige are the emotional types that leave impressions by making you feel for the characters. Utsuge are much more depressing for the whole read (such as Narcissu), and mysteries...would be nazoge, I guess? 

Anyway, I agree that variety would be appreciated. I've only read a few moege, and I've found that ones that make use of supernatural elements are the most interesting to me personally. What matters with picking up a title is whether or not people will read them. I'm hoping for several of the Requested titles being picked up in the near future. Especially mine, of course. :P

Finally, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can engage in some fun discussions in the future.

It's definitely a blanket term for sure.

I've read a total of around 10 moege, and only 2 I can claim to have enjoyed a majority of it. Moege localizations do bug me, but I understand their value in attaining sales and I can always ignore them (even if I end up playing some anyways to torture myself).

I'll hopefully be around here a lot if Furureba has a good TL when it's released.

Maou-san is adorable <3 

Btw, let me add something serious in the conversation. Time for real "plot". 
Moege in VNs are like bland ecchi anime in the anime market: basically, you can be sure they'll sell.
Plotge are more peculiar: they can sell like monsters or stay in the corner because the average customer has shitty taste (Italy in a nutshell, btw).  
I think it should be obvious for a newborn company to release moege titles first. Especially since they declared they don't want to use kickstarter. 
And since they decided to create this forum and the "suggest" option, I believe we should be safe about them not sticking on one genre. 

Also, if Nekonyan picks up a well-received VN with a fandisc (or appends), I hope they'll translate and sell those as well. The Western VN community has been getting the short end in that regard. 

12 minutes ago, MichaelBlueTheKing said:

Maou-san is adorable <3 

Btw, let me add something serious in the conversation. Time for real "plot". 
Moege in VNs are like bland ecchi anime in the anime market: basically, you can be sure they'll sell.
Plotge are more peculiar: they can sell like monsters or stay in the corner because the average customer has shitty taste (Italy in a nutshell, btw).  
I think it should be obvious for a newborn company to release moege titles first. Especially since they declared they don't want to use kickstarter. 
And since they decided to create this forum and the "suggest" option, I believe we should be safe about them not sticking on one genre. 

It is pretty obvious in that aspect, but at least one plotge out of 5 license could've been pretty cool to see.

7 minutes ago, Tsukishiro said:

Also, if Nekonyan picks up a well-received VN with a fandisc (or appends), I hope they'll translate and sell those as well. The Western VN community has been getting the short end in that regard. 

I usually hate fandiscs with a burning passion and most VNs I enjoy don't have fandiscs to speak of, besides Himawari, but that fandisc is lost to the void and nobody would dare pick it up after how poorly Himawari sold. Feelsbadman

That's not always the english companies' fault, tho. 
I've talked to Jast Usa about the sequel of Demonbane and with another company about the fandisc of some other title I don't remember, and I received the same answer from both companies: "we would like to, but the developer wants us to localize more other titles before starting to release sequels/fandiscs/etc."
And I think I understand why: sequels can exist only with the original title. You can't play them by themselves. Same thing for fandiscs. 
And if I spend my time to release a sequel of something, that's time not spent on releasing new stuff. 
And from customers' perspective, that's time not spent on releasing something I want to read. 
Basically, they release new stuff everytime and then drop some sequels/fandiscs if the original sold well (or they release them anyway because it was on the contract, like Jast Usa plans to do with the sequel of Demonbane, if I got that right). 
It's not the happiest ending for someone who liked that certain title, but I think it's good enough for me. 

7 minutes ago, MichaelBlueTheKing said:

That's not always the english companies' fault, tho. 
I've talked to Jast Usa about the sequel of Demonbane and with another company about the fandisc of some other title I don't remember, and I received the same answer from both companies: "we would like to, but the developer wants us to localize more other titles before starting to release sequels/fandiscs/etc."
And I think I understand why: sequels can exist only with the original title. You can't play them by themselves. Same thing for fandiscs. 
And if I spend my time to release a sequel of something, that's time not spent on releasing new stuff. 
And from customers' perspective, that's time not spent on releasing something I want to read. 
Basically, they release new stuff everytime and then drop some sequels/fandiscs if the original sold well (or they release them anyway because it was on the contract, like Jast Usa plans to do with the sequel of Demonbane, if I got that right). 
It's not the happiest ending for someone who liked that certain title, but I think it's good enough for me. 

I'm just surprised that JAST and Nitroplus communicate at all because of how little Nitroplus content comes out in the West.

1 minute ago, Virgin Smasher said:

I'm just surprised that JAST and Nitroplus communicate at all because of how little Nitroplus content comes out in the West.

Ye, they were referring to the Nitroplus' titles they are going to bring us xD
Of course, when I asked about those titles, they didn't answer me back. Or better, they did answer but just saying they couldn't answer. You know, usual things xD 

It's a tricky problem, since the large majority of releases (and subsequently, companies) in Japan are moege, and many of the more notable plotge developers have already entered the western market whether it be through one of the existing localizers, or self-publishing. 

It's not like we're deliberately avoiding more plot-centered titles. After all, hello goodbye is probably lump of sugar's most plot-centered title besides Itsuka Todoku Ano Sora ni. I know we have a few non-moege titles we're looking into getting that I'm sure a lot of people will be happy about, so keep on the lookout. 

First of all, hi.

Now that that' out of its way...xD

Moege are easier to tranlsate, easier to get into, are more artsy, cutesy and boin-y. Also Storyge/Plotge are most of the time longer and harder to get into thus resulting in a more costy and lengthy translation, more time 's needed to skip to the H-Scene/Fanservice (if it has any), the characters almost never have those cute big tiddies eyes that every thirteen-year old on steam/etc seems to love...

Short summary: most of the VN fans are horny delusional weebs that want to fap to harem animu pr0n and only use VNs because steam/etc aren't selling those badly animated 3D-pr0n videos. Who'd want to read pr0n if he could just watch pr0n...

Or

2 hours ago, MichaelBlueTheKing said:

because the average customer has shitty taste

Damn, that ended in some pretty serious ranting. Just to save my skin, I love moeblobs as much as anyone else, but too much sugar is never good for your stomach. (except when you get them in Lumps of)

5 hours ago, Nelico said:

First of all, hi.

Now that that' out of its way...xD

Moege are easier to tranlsate, easier to get into, are more artsy, cutesy and boin-y. Also Storyge/Plotge are most of the time longer and harder to get into thus resulting in a more costy and lengthy translation, more time 's needed to skip to the H-Scene/Fanservice (if it has any), the characters almost never have those cute big tiddies eyes that every thirteen-year old on steam/etc seems to love...

Short summary: most of the VN fans are horny delusional weebs that want to fap to harem animu pr0n and only use VNs because steam/etc aren't selling those badly animated 3D-pr0n videos. Who'd want to read pr0n if he could just watch pr0n...

Or

Damn, that ended in some pretty serious ranting. Just to save my skin, I love moeblobs as much as anyone else, but too much sugar is never good for your stomach. (except when you get them in Lumps of)

Moege are also boring, slow, sometimes not even funny even if they try to be, offer nothing of value to think about, and generally rely on cliches that give me an aneurysm. I could rant on and on about moege, but I've done it so many times that it's just not worth repeating tbh. None of this is reflective of how moege is ever so popular to localize, but it's just me feeling like more variety is needed, and according to Chuee, that variety could be happening soon if negotiations don't fail completely.

Also, the translator issue can be solved if this company is passionate enough to hire good people to work on plotge and let the moege be TLed by either people who like them more or aren't as qualified to translate difficult Japanese.

Edited by Virgin Smasher

My ranting wasn't referred to people liking moeges, but more like to people not appreciating the masterpiece when they have right before their eyes. 
But that's probably a more Italian situation, since people here didn't even know what the fuck a VN is before DDLC started becoming mainstream. 

7 hours ago, MichaelBlueTheKing said:

My ranting wasn't referred to people liking moeges, but more like to people not appreciating the masterpiece when they have right before their eyes. 
But that's probably a more Italian situation, since people here didn't even know what the fuck a VN is before DDLC started becoming mainstream. 

I've always had a problem with people who claim a VN is the best VN ever when they've only played maybe 2 or 3 VNs overall. I've read 64 VNs currently and I can safely say that I have a lot of knowledge of what's good in the Western market.

But that's a different rant for a different time.

10 minutes ago, Virgin Smasher said:

I've read 64 VNs currently and I can safely say that I have a lot of knowledge of what's good in the Western market.

The only good thing for the western market is the annihilation of casuals. Eradicate them all! o/ 

Just now, MichaelBlueTheKing said:

The only good thing for the western market is the annihilation of casuals. Eradicate them all! o/ 

The annihilation of Steam would also help. :reee: