QuentinWilson

Sanoba Witch failed allocating memory for bitmaps

I've been playing Sanoba Witch and this error has repeatedly come up (see attached screenshot). Clicking yes, sometimes multiple times in sequence, seems to allow me to continue. I've positioned the Taskmanager window in the screenshot so you can see how much memory the application is using, but it doesn't look critical to me.

I've purchased the game from the NekoNyan shop and used the installer. I'm playing on a fully updated Windows 10 that is always set to japanese locale (for other VNs). I'm mentioning this just in case, it has never been an issue. There is no Anti-Virus etc. installed, which means Windows Defender is running.

Since I can continue it's not critical, but it does seem like there is something seriously wrong. Please let me know if you need any additional infos from me.

Screenshot 2018-10-27 at 23.37.46.png

Yea This happens to me as well.. apparently its a bug they were not able to fix.. clicking yes should solve the problem. However its keeps recurring time and again.. and is an annoyance in some situations.. at one point i got a completely different prompt it was bitmap related aswell but with only an Ok button.. it shuts down the VN.. its a rare occurrence and doesn't happen as frequently as the one in the picture..  Therefore i use quick-save  allot while reading 

Now that you say that, I was wondering why the game closed the first time this happened to me. That was probably the prompt that only had the Ok button, but it hasn't happened since and I did not get a good look because I hit enter reflexively. I've only had the yes/no one since.

Yes that's a bug that was also in the original JP release and Yuzusoft couldn't fix it until now. Sadly we weren't able to fix it either :sosad: 
It happens on some systems but shouldn't be a critical bug but yeah I can see why it breaks the immersion sometimes. ;x

Well, immersion is one thing, but the first time this happened I was booted to the desktop and hadn't yet saved. Granted, it only took a few minutes of skipping to get back to where I was and I have been paranoid about saving since then, but maybe you need to put a notice somewhere if you can't fix the issue.

What kind of hacky low level stuff is this engine written in anyway if no one can track down a known bug like this. As a software engineer myself this makes me slightly anxious. I'm not surprised though, I've seen a ton of VNs that seem to be coded terribly.

Yeah it's pretty frustrating. A lot of VNs using this engine have the problem and somehow the devs aren't able to fix it ;o

4 hours ago, Neb Neb said:

Yeah it's pretty frustrating. A lot of VNs using this engine have the problem and somehow the devs aren't able to fix it ;o

I guess it's the bug of KirikiriZ engine itself :sweat:

But funny I never found this bug from all Yuzusoft titles that I've ever played so far.

Edited by Admiral_Mikan

I solved the problem.. However this wont work with the steam version..

Make sure your game is located on your system Drive.. create a shortcut for your exe on the desktop.

now configure this shortcut to run in compatibility mode of Windows 7 and set it to run as administrator.

Before  for every scene the memory use to keep piling up until it reached around 1.5gb till it had to restart..

Now after doing the above steps memory automatically purges when it reaches around 1gb and that error does not show up.

Edit: Scratch all that, The damn bug is still there.. it just doesn't happen that frequently..

Edited by Wildbreed
Issue not resolved

On 10/27/2018 at 7:00 PM, QuentinWilson said:

What kind of hacky low level stuff is this engine written in anyway if no one can track down a known bug like this. As a software engineer myself this makes me slightly anxious. I'm not surprised though, I've seen a ton of VNs that seem to be coded terribly.

GRORIOUS NIPPONESE CODE FOLDED OVER ONE THOUSAND TIMES

Just Japan being years behind on PC development and VNs being a niche medium that small-time devs and random doujin groups that make up the vast majority of releases can't afford the time and money it takes to actually write robust code that doesn't explode the instant it's removed from its perfect vacuum of Japanese-only characters on decade-old hardware... Although Yuzusoft is as big as this industry gets and Kirikiri is a fairly popular engine (family) that isn't previously known to have this problem.

26 minutes ago, RisingChaos said:

Just Japan being years behind on PC development and VNs being a niche medium that small-time devs and random doujin groups that make up the vast majority of releases can't afford the time and money it takes to actually write robust code that doesn't explode the instant it's removed from its perfect vacuum of Japanese-only characters on decade-old hardware... Although Yuzusoft is as big as this industry gets and Kirikiri is a fairly popular engine (family) that isn't previously known to have this problem.

To be fair, a lot of western code explodes in the same hilarious ways when suddenly exposed to Non-ASCII inputs (what do you mean, other characters?), especially older stuff. But Visual Novels tend to be especially badly written in a variety of ways.

I wasn't familiar with Kirikiri, but it appears to be written in C++, with this looking like a run of the mill memory leak issue it's not actually that surprising, just the fact that no one can fix it. I almost want to take a look myself, but then I also really don't. That would lead too far down the rabbit hole.

1 hour ago, QuentinWilson said:

I almost want to take a look myself, but then I also really don't. That would lead too far down the rabbit hole.

If you gaze too deep into the abyss, the abyss gazes back :sneaky:

Noticed that there's a bunch of patch files in the main yuzusoft page of sanoba. Maybe applying all of those will fix the problem? Not sure what version nekonyansoft released so I can't really tell.

23 minutes ago, dust10 said:

Noticed that there's a bunch of patch files in the main yuzusoft page of sanoba. Maybe applying all of those will fix the problem? Not sure what version nekonyansoft released so I can't really tell.

【修正パッチ Ver.1.20】(2015.4/24

Thats their latest patch and its the same version we have now

sanoba 5678.jpg

Edited by Wildbreed

Spoiler

Okay, patch and Wildbreed method didn't fix issue for me, so here my findings:

Error about bitmaps happens after 1.5gb stored memory (Duh!)
Each game day its resets to ~300mb

Error happens on long days without resets, and thats is 2-1 day for example. Memory keep storing until it blow up in Cafe scene (right before first choice in the game)

But my main finding is that the Japanese version doesn't have that bug. I don't know who spread this lie, but memory there rarely stored up to 800mb. I've checked. Sorry if this sound offensive, but thats how it is. I think whoever encounter that bug in jap version doesn't have enough RAM memory to begin with (I can see how it's crash with 1gb RAM for entire PC).
My main guess is that the problem in dual language, but thats up to you to check. Just launch 2-1 ch, start normal skip and see by yourself how long it take to crash.

Oh, now that I checked new version on Steam (1.22) released that night - everything seems fine now. Memory keep storing up to 500mb (even better than original jap game!). Good job. I like how you work on issues (unlike other companies...).

Edited by ShinRaikdou
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, the last update should fix that problem and also the crash that sometimes occurs. We are currently uploading everything to our store so it will be live later today.

On 10/29/2018 at 3:14 AM, MichaelBlueTheKing said:

If you gaze too deep into the abyss, the abyss gazes back :sneaky:

I reach my hand out to the abyss and invite it on a date.

8 hours ago, twisted said:

Will it be uploaded to the MG store? It only has the 1.1 update.

We found another bug that needs to be addressed first. We will send out the newest version to all other platforms on Monday.