BEWARE SPOILERS!

I never actually finished Rewrite (https://vndb.org/v751), it's easily my least favorite Key visual novel.  The common route was decent enough, but where I really ran into problems was with the routes.  The first route I played was Kotori's, which was really good - until the epilogue, where it just crashed and burned.  I mean, those two had EARNED their happy ending, and she just dumps the protag into a hospital and never visits?  Seriously pissed me off, but at least the route itself was pretty good.  So then I played Chihaya's route, which turned out to be a lot more chunnibyou than I expect from Key, but it was still fun, and at least they got their happily ever-after. 

So then I went for my second favorite heroine in the game, Shizuru.  Shizuru's route was absolute garbage, I was shocked.  In Kotori and Chihaya's routes, the protag actually becomes pretty bad-ass, using his super powers to fight for the woman he loves.  In Shizuru's route he's a freaking housewife who doesn't even TRY to support his girlfriend while she fights a damn war to save the planet, and then he runs off and gets himself killed, so Shizuru ends up almost dying to save him, except he can't even be saved, and the war is lost, so she spends years crying herself to sleep in a bunker to survive the end of the world while the protag turns into a tree.  WHAT THE HECK?  I had to look it up to make sure I hadn't gotten the bad end.  Pissed me off so much I rage quit and never finished the rest of the game.

So for anyone who's actually read the rest of Rewrite, are the other routes any better?  I read one review that said the 3 routes I played were the worst in the game, but since he ranked Chihaya's route as the worst of all when I thought it was the best of the three, I'm rather hesitant to go back in.

“What the heck” is generally how I felt when I read Rewrite. I thought it was going to be like other KEY games and everything that they are known for. But then,  when you getting to the routes, it dives into some bat-shit stuff and things that came completely out of left field. 

Due to the responses regarding the routes and my inability to wrap my head around what was going on, the only route I was able to read to the end was the Lucia route. To me, I felt that it had the least complicated story out of all of them and had some fantastic romantic moments. 

So yeah, I would say read Luica’s route.

Edited by blueskydreams
  • Like 1

I played Rewrite under the mindset that the MC's main motivation has been to find a place to belong, with that desire extending into each of the heroine routes. In a way, the quality of each routes' ending is a reflection of how much the MC was willing to commit himself to make a difference. He was pretty much told to keep out of trouble in Shizuru route, and he did until curiosity got the better of him. Chihaya route takes it in the other direction by allowing the MC to develop himself before taking action and that turned out much better. It's also my personal favorite heroine route.

And I believe the writers wanted to make Kotori's ending poetic with the way it ended. The MC's motivation in that route was to help her fulfill her duty out of commitment, so even failing in the end doesn't change the feelings between them. He resolves to see her again with his head held high so they can let go of the past together.

Rewrite might be one of those VNs where you need to look at the routes from several perspectives to full appreciate them. The genre shifts and overlapping themes can make that a bit difficult. The different writers for the routes is partially to blame for that. Lucia's is a bit of a wildcard route that doesn't fit in with the others, but it does the romance well and presents a straightforward conflict. Akane's is the darkest and gives a larger scale to the narrative.

Whether or not you want to dive back in, the important thing is whether you enjoy reading it. If you feel that it's a slog, or just not your cup of tea, set it aside and read something you know you'll enjoy at this moment. 

• Like 1

Finally worked up the gumption to give Lucia's route a try.  I think I'd rate it as a bit better than Chihaya's route, though I did get irritated at the MC suddenly becoming an idiot during the climax of the route.  The epilogue I'd rate has between Chihaya's and Kotori's, not as good as Chihaya's, but better than Kotori's.

I still feel that Kotori had the best ROUTE, it's just her epilogue was so lacking.  The route itself was amazing, even though the MC and Kotori failed at what they set out to do.

Dunno if I'll ever play Akane's route or not, I do know I'm not in the mood for it right now.

In the end, I think I still have to rate Rewrite as the worst VN from Key I've read, so my current personal Key ranking is CLANNAD>Little Busters>Kanon>Air>Rewrite

Thanks for giving me the motivation to finish Lucia's route, I do think it was worth reading.

16 minutes ago, DarthSteel said:

Finally worked up the gumption to give Lucia's route a try.  I think I'd rate it as a bit better than Chihaya's route, though I did get irritated at the MC suddenly becoming an idiot during the climax of the route.  The epilogue I'd rate has between Chihaya's and Kotori's, not as good as Chihaya's, but better than Kotori's.

I still feel that Kotori had the best ROUTE, it's just her epilogue was so lacking.  The route itself was amazing, even though the MC and Kotori failed at what they set out to do.

Dunno if I'll ever play Akane's route or not, I do know I'm not in the mood for it right now.

In the end, I think I still have to rate Rewrite as the worst VN from Key I've read, so my current personal Key ranking is CLANNAD>Little Busters>Kanon>Air>Rewrite

Thanks for giving me the motivation to finish Lucia's route, I do think it was worth reading.

The main problem with Rewrite, imo, is that you have to play all 5 routes to unlock the "true ending" and that's a pain in the ass.
I couldn't fall in love with any of the girl because the chara is KEY's chara and the girls are more like moeblobs than real 2D grills, so heh. 
For me at least it has been a real pain, but the true ending repaid me in the end

• Like 1