Skarren

The lack of Sequels too Visual Novels in the west.

Well as the topic says, this is something thats been bugging me for a few years now, or rather irritated me greatly honestly.

You get highly anticipated visual novel releases, which is great, but often their "true route" endings are pretty much screaming there is more, but we never get more.

Take Da Capo 3, it's sequel PP is pretty much a new game, it's what 10 to 30 hours i believe on the visual novel database, and continues the modern day setting, Mangagamer unfortunatley as of my inquiery a few months ago, has absolutley no plans on releasing this sequel. While thats fine in general, the problem i have is that the end of the true route has in big bold letters "too be continued" >_<

Hapymaher, recently released from mangagamer also has a fan disc/sequel in the 10 to 30 hour length range, and again the true route just screams you need the sequel to be satisfied, i doubt we are ever getting this over here 😕

But this is not a problem only Mangagamer has, but more two examples i came up with, i figure there are numerous reasons they don't pick up the fan discs, alot of the time they are pretty much mostly adult secenes that don't really bring much extra too the story, but when you get full length vn's in the sequels, it's depressing 😕

What are your opinions on this? could it possibly be solved by having crowdfunding for fandiscs, so publishers can see if there is a real interest in them?

And on an end note, i am really happy that NekoNyanSoft have chosen to release the Fureraba fan disc, while not super long, the fact that we are getting it at all is something i really appreciate, and i hope the possibility for the short fan disc for "Melty Moment" will also be something considered for the future.

I believe it depends on the product itself. 
Since the fandisc basically requires the original product, it will never sell more than the original of course. Maybe it will sell the same. But never more than the original, that's for sure.
And if we are talking about a long fandisc (10-30 hours, you said), it probably costs too much for them to handle the risk. 
I know for a fact (or rather, for experience) that there aren't so many people eager to play a fandisc, because they feel like it sounds forced. Like, you know, "it's been created to grab even more money". I don't feel like it at all, btw. A fandisc is part of the original story and it plans to conclude it or give us a more satisfying feeling. You free yourself from that sadness and despair you get when you finish reading something you love. 
But anyway, what I think is not important. It probably depends on how much the original sells, that's all. 
If we start asking for it in the annual licensing survey, they could probably think about it. Maybe. 
But I still think companies are more eager to release many different titles instead of a reduced number of titles + their fandiscs. 
And I understand that. 
I'm saddened about that. And everytime I see a post related to a new EVN I wish they would stop promoting them and instead translate more good jappo titles. 
But I understand that. 
It's all my fault, anyway, for being too lazy to seriously learn japanese and depending on companies who will not be able to translate what I want because Japanese companies do not answer their requests (I'm absolutely NOT referring to Walkure Romanze and Ricotta in any way, nonono). 

Other than Da Capo, MangaGamer has actually been pretty good about fandiscs. We've gotten them for Shuffle!, Edelweiss, Kira Kira, Evangile, Fata Morgana, and Funbag Fantasy. I'm sure we'll get HapyMaher -Fragmentation Dream- too.

9 hours ago, hetzer123 said:

It's not good to just treat EVN like a badly written fanfiction. Promoting EVN are unlikely to affect the localization of Japanese titles and there is a chance of getting good EVN.

I know they aren't related, it's just frustrating for me 

As Michael said, fandiscs aren't at profitable as the original VN for what they're worth, which is extremely unfortunate. I'm glad Mangagamer and Nekonyan are doing them, but I'm still waiting for things like Harvest Festa, Eternal Heart, and the [Pulltop] fandiscs. 

3 hours ago, Tsukishiro said:

As Michael said, fandiscs aren't at profitable as the original VN for what they're worth, which is extremely unfortunate. I'm glad Mangagamer and Nekonyan are doing them, but I'm still waiting for things like Harvest Festa, Eternal Heart, and the [Pulltop] fandiscs. 

Harvest Festa is included in Rewrite+, the version of the game that was licensed for English release. Eternal Heart was part of the Hoshimemo kickstarter. As for Pulltop titles... MoeGamer is crap, so don't get your hopes up.

There's many flavors of fandisc, but it disturbs me as well. Fandiscs usually aren't necessary. It's not about "need" per se. If the story or setting needs continued, that content would've been in the original game or a proper sequel would've been made. It can be a thin line and subject to some subjectivity, though.

To me, it's usually more about the idea that if I really like a game, I want to be able to pour as much of my attention possible toward additional official product with those characters/setting. In that sense, a fandisc is not much different from proper sequels or even merchandise like a figure or wall scroll. Now, I'm not necessarily keen to drop large sums of money on the hottest or rarest physical swag that do nothing but look pretty in my vicinity rather than entertain me for hours on end, but that's my choice. When it comes to story stuff, something that involves language and communication, it needs to be translated (assuming I don't take up the daunting task of learning a new language at my age) or it's unintelligible to me. It's not in my power to decide if I liked the original work enough to check out an untranslated fandisc, it's simply inaccessible to me. It's that loss of consumer choice that bothers me. I understand it from the perspective of running a localization business, but it's really sad for the non-native fans of these niche works.

In that manner, I'll also say that simply knowing a lot of untranslated bonus content exists for a story whose base product was localized kinda turns me off even wanting to dip my toes into the water and vice-versa. For example, I'd be hesitent right now to buy Hapymaher from MG, end up really enjoying it, then later find out they have no plans to localize the FD because it sold poorly. (Nevermind that being one of those early buyers is +1 encouragement for them to localize it.) In contrast, I jumped on Fureraba while the launch discount was still rolling in part because I was assured the mini-fandisc shortly down the road.

Now back to my regularly scheduled weeping about my experience as a dirty EOP with regard to being a huge Sonohana fan. The two dozen drama CDs, Lord only knows the tokuten I don't even realize exists, the fact that the Steam fiasco with Maidens of Michael probably all but killed the chance of more Sonohana being localized... :sosad:

Edited by RisingChaos

3 hours ago, RisingChaos said:

For example, I'd be hesitent right now to buy Hapymaher from MG, end up really enjoying it, then later find out they have no plans to localize the FD because it sold poorly.

Just checked with marketing, and HapyMaher is selling well.

Sonohana New Gen has never been on Steam, so there's still a chance for that franchise.

Edited by Tamaki Sakura

If you wanna be picky and insist on a better example, since Hapymaher is new enough to not write off the FD one way or the other then IMHHW with regard to Flight Diary and Snow Presents. 9_9 Or for examples where the original wasn't already butchered in localization, ef - a fairy tale of the two or all the Da Capo III stuff as OP already mentioned.

At any rate, my point stands: Not localizing supplementary materials does discourage me from buying into the base game. While I can't say to what degree, bringing over a fandisc does help push sales of the original game. The would-be sales of the fandisc isn't the sole factor at play when making that decision. The actual business people probably already realize this, though.

But usually, guys, not translating fan-disks (if they are good and have nice story) is like translate the game only at half. Eh... Sorry, I don't understand why you dislike fan-disks. Is it special name for paid DLC in Japanese? 

Well Moenovel have already screwed over the original so quite nice that they went for the fandisk rather than ruining anything else. The less they publish the less they ruin for the english market, but they going for a title they have already ruined is better than a new title.

2 hours ago, MichaelBlueTheKing said:

If My Heart Had Wings Flight Diary has just been announced. 
Like now. 
I had Steam open and the games just showed me the update stating "Flight Diary soon to be announced". 

Woah...seriously? This is great! Even if it’s Moenovel-level trash it should be enough to get fans to fix it (again). 

I’ll be able to scratch another fandisc off my to-read list.

Flight diary releasing *sniff* brings a tear too my eye, can't wait, and coming soon, could one hope within a month or two?

9 hours ago, Skarren said:

Flight diary releasing *sniff* brings a tear too my eye, can't wait, and coming soon, could one hope within a month or two?

MoeNovel usually releases things not too much later after the announcements. 
CrossChannel was released like 2 weeks after. 
And A Sky Full of Stars was like one month after. 
It's close, I believe. 

On 8/24/2018 at 3:15 PM, Skarren said:

It brings a tear to my eye in a completely different way.

Dont get me wrong, this fandisk being released is very exciting, but who is releasing it...is not.

50 minutes ago, blueskydreams said:

It brings a tear to my eye in a completely different way.

Dont get me wrong, this fandisk being released is very exciting, but who is releasing it...is not.

Not much can be done about that. Moenovel has dibs on Pulltop titles...