So. 
Let's say I've finally decided to stop being a lazy fucktard and I'm gonna learn Japponic for real (ahahahahahahahahah). 
But I think direct experience is better than simple studying. 
Basically, let's say I want to pick up an untranslated Visual Novel and play it in jap. 
Is Amagami good? Or should I go with something more simple, like... a grade school textbook? :smug:

5aeeffb2f3b1b_AmagamiVN01.thumb.jpg.068bcd223ed7b760ec9652a2d3794f08.jpg

For easy VNs in japanese I would recommend VNs based on something that had an anime before the VN, things like nisekoi yomeiri, Himouto Umaru and New Game challenge stage. An advantage is that if you have watched the anime, or read the original manga/ light novel you are more familiar with the characters which should make things easier to understand, they also often feature voice for the main character, which will make it a lot easier. Having voices as you read really makes a huge difference as having a lot of unvoiced lines can be very difficult if you are not already good at japanese. As for Amagami I don't really know, from what I can see from the pictures on vndb it doesn't seem like a difficult VN to read in japense, though one problem might be that you may have some trouble motivating yourself to read all of it since it is listed as 50+ hours. 

Edited by bakauchuujin
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

though one problem might be that you may have some trouble motivating yourself to read all of it since it is listed as 50+ hours. 

That was never a problem to begin with. The longer, the better. :star:

I'm not sure how much Japanese you already know, but when reading untranslated VNs I would recommend using a text hooker to add furigana to the Kanji at the very least. Different VNs use certain words, expressions, and writing styles such that once you acclimate yourself to them, the reading itself goes much more smoothly. You'll gradually be able to recognize familiar words in context. I would recommend short stuff at first, or at least something you already have some background knowledge with, as bakauchuujin suggested.

That being said, I would probably focus on a textbook or two for a few months to get used to the grammar and develop your vocabulary. Ideally, you would want to immerse yourself in the language by attending a language school and communicating in Japanese, but that's not a viable option for many of us.  :ugghh:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tsukishiro said:

I'm not sure how much Japanese you already know, but when reading untranslated VNs I would recommend using a text hooker to add furigana to the Kanji at the very least. Different VNs use certain words, expressions, and writing styles such that once you acclimate yourself to them, the reading itself goes much more smoothly. You'll gradually be able to recognize familiar words in context. I would recommend short stuff at first, or at least something you already have some background knowledge with, as bakauchuujin suggested.

That being said, I would probably focus on a textbook or two for a few months to get used to the grammar and develop your vocabulary. Ideally, you would want to immerse yourself in the language by attending a language school and communicating in Japanese, but that's not a viable option for many of us.  :ugghh:

I'm already acclimated to the furigana, but the kanji just won't stay in my head.
I know myself enough to say I will never learn if I don't force myself some way. 
So I will basically take my time (a long time) to translate the text in my head, to take notes and get used to the various words. 
I was already doing that by myself but the "study alone" pattern really bores me to death. 
Trying to understand what my waifu is saying, instead, could be a strong motivation. 
Amagami is one of my favourite romance anime and I love Tsukasa so the choice wasn't random. 
It won't be a pleasant trip, that I'm sure. But at least it's not a Dies Irae or something complicated like that. 
Unless you tell me that the Amagami's VN is hardcore-level xD 
But yea, basically what I'm saying is that a textbook won't help my laziness. 

1 minute ago, MichaelBlueTheKing said:

But yea, basically what I'm saying is that a textbook won't help my laziness. 

Well said, well said :smug:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Tamaki Sakura said:

Go take a course at your local community college, you lazy otaku.

4 years of Japanese at my previous university gets you to the end of the Genki 2 textbook. That's not even enough to pass the N3. It might be different in other places though.

14 minutes ago, MichaelBlueTheKing said:

My job does not approve :cryy:

Same for me. Other than VNs and anime, I've had no Japanese application since I graduated. I kinda wish I could work in an authentic Japanese restaurant for a while at least, but they all seem to be run by Chinese people.

Just now, Tsukishiro said:

4 years of Japanese at my previous university gets you to the end of the Genki 2 textbook. That's not even enough to pass the N3.

In 40 years of reading VNs I should be good, then :smug:

3 minutes ago, Tsukishiro said:

4 years of Japanese at my previous university gets you to the end of the Genki 2 textbook.

That is really slow, I went through genki 1 and 2 in about 10 days during a summer vacation (had no internet for 10 days). I had ofc tested myself in the words in genki 1 and skimmed through the grammar parts previously so I did know some japanese before going through them but I was nowhere near good so ye using 4 years on those 2 books seems really slow.

Japanese wasn't even a Major at my school. Sometimes they didn't even have year 4 classes due to lack of students. Truly an unfortunate state of affairs. And I even used to presumptuously pride myself for having the best grades, what a joke. When I decide to pursue my next degree, I'll take Japanese more seriously as well. I'll try to get into a study abroad program too.

Sorry for getting off-topic.

5 hours ago, Tamaki Sakura said:

Go take a course at your local community college, you lazy otaku.

This is what I'm doing next year to learn Japanese.

4 hours ago, Virgin Smasher said:

This is what I'm doing next year to learn Japanese.

Take it as seriously as you can while you're still young. You won't be able to reach the level where you can read comfortably unless you're willing to commit several years to it, which becomes difficult once you start working full time. Expose yourself to the language as much as possible.

Otherwise you end up like me, hoping for the unlikely chance that the untranslated title(s) you want to read gets picked up. In my case, there's only one that I really want to read, but it'd take a miracle to see it translated.

:dontask:

• Sad 1

Thinking about doing the same. The idea of learning a language while trying to read something I'm really interested is great. I get it's hard, but it's better than machine translation

• Like 1

I have Amagami on my Vita, and played a couple of routes. It's a nice SOL/ romance game, and it's not very hard to read. It uses your standard "simple" Japanese that you see in similar SOL games. The kanji usage is not over the top, and all the characters except the protagonist are voiced, which I know can be of great help to beginners.

It's not a bad pick for your first title, but you should have a dictionary close by and be prepared to use it. A lot. :PThat will be the case regardless of what title you choose, though. If you're new to Japanese, you are going to encounter a lot of words you don't know, obviously. Reading like that can be a chore at first, but it is indeed a good way to learn.

Edited by Dergonu
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dergonu said:

I have Amagami on my Vita, and played a couple of routes. It's a nice SOL/ romance game, and it's not very hard to read. It uses your standard "simple" Japanese that you see in similar SOL games. The kanji usage is not over the top, and all the characters except the protagonist are voiced, which I know can be of great help to beginners.

It's not a bad pick for your first title, but you should have a dictionary close by and be prepared to use it. A lot. :PThat will be the case regardless of what title you choose, though. If you're new to Japanese, you are going to encounter a lot of words you don't know, obviously. Reading like that can be a chore at first, but it is indeed a good way to learn.

Ye, the idea is forcing myself to read the text and translate it in my head (or writing it down) while getting the help of a list and a dictionary. 
After reading Kanjis for 300 times I should be able to remember what they mean :tehee: